Arthritis in back is a common condition of the spine or the lumbar are that may result to various symptoms. Arthritis condition in the back is often seen in elders, but this may affect individuals from different age groups. However, individuals who are at high risk to this condition include the following:
- Older patients
- Heavy laborers
- Obese individuals
- Those who experienced spine injuries
Arthritis in back is a common condition that affects the joint that connects the spinal segments or the vertebrae. The spine’s vertebrae are connected to each other in three different places. On the front part of the spinal cord, vertebrae are separated the the cushion-like spinal disc. Right behind it, the vertebrae are connected with two small joints known as the facet joints. These joints, together with the spinal disc, permit spinal movements including the arching of the back, twisting sideways and bending forward.
Considered as the most common form of arthritis that usually occur in the back or the spine is osteoarthritis. This is also known as the wear-and-tear arthritis. In case this type of arthritis occurs in the back, experts refer to it as spondylosis. Once the spinal joint starts to become arthritic, the movement of the spine may become stiff and painful. Back or lumbar spine arthritis is often prevalent accompanied by other health conditions that involve the spine, which include:
- Disc Degeneration: when the facet joints begin to work out due to the arthritis condition in the spine, the disc may start to wear out along with it. Facet arthritis usually proceeds with a disc disease in the lumbar spine.
- Spinal Stenosis: this is often seen in individuals who are suffering from arthritis in back or lumbar arthritis. As the condition progresses, the nerves in the spine become pinched and this results to spinal stenosis. The symptoms of this condition often include numbness, leg pain, tingling sensation and difficult walking.
Symptoms of Back or Lumbar Arthritis
Arthritis in the back usually causes pain and stiffness, particularly in the lower portion of the back. A patient suffering from this condition often notice that their back is stiff particularly upon waking up in the morning and this may loosen as the day goes on. The symptoms of the condition may also worsen when doing strenuous or prolonged physical activities. When the arthritis condition in the lumbar facet joint is aggravated, the joints will start forming bone spurs, the nerves surrounding the joints become pinched, and the tissue becomes swollen and inflamed. This condition is known as spinal stenosis, which is very common in patients suffering from arthritis in back.
Lumbar Spine Arthritis Treatment
The treatment for arthritis in the back depends on the symptoms encountered by the afflicted individual. The treatment often starts with simple measures and these will only become invasive if the patient is relieved from the simple steps applied. Some of the available treatments for back or lumbar arthritis are as follows:
- Physical Therapy: this treatment method is being used to help strengthen the muscles in the lumbar spine. By providing the spine with stronger and more flexible muscles, lesser amount of pressure is placed on the joints. Even individuals who are active and fit have to strengthen their back muscles more to prevent or alleviate the symptoms of back arthritis.
- Weight Loss: trying to lose weight is often one of the most difficult tasks for individuals with worn-out joints. However, you should know that shedding considerate amount of fats from the body is beneficial when dealing with such condition. By simply trying to remove at least 10 pounds or more, the joints in the lumbar spine will not be obliged to carry all the burden and it will be relieved of the pressure that causes arthritis.
- Anti-Inflammatory Medications: these types of medications are helpful in reducing the inflammation due to the arthritic condition in the joints. Lowering the inflammation results to reduced pain but these medications should only be consumed after consulting a physician.
- Hot and Cold Compress: applying heat and cold to the affected area can help relieve pain. In some patients suffering from arthritis in back, application of heat can help loosen the pressure on the spine, while cold compress is best used after going through a strenuous activity.
- Chiropractic Treatment: a professional chiropractor can help treat the misalignment on the spine using the process known as manipulation. This type of treatment does not alter the alignment of the spine but provide relief against pain. Although the relief is often temporary, chiropractic treatments should be highly regarded, especially n in the case of a flare-up.
- Alternative Treatments: these alternative treatments usually include acupuncture, magnet therapy, massage and natural remedies. These were said to be effective since individuals are able to obtain relief from these alternative treatments. Although these options are not backed with scientific proofs, these do not come with any side effects so you do not have to be afraid of trying it.
- Epidural Injections: this is a way of administering a steroid shot within the affected area. Cortisone is a known potent anti-inflammatory often being used in this method. With a needle, the medication is delivered right into the affected area to relieve pain and alleviate all other symptoms of arthritis in the back.
- Spinal Fusion: this is a known surgical procedure administered to eliminate the movement in between the adjoining vertebrae. In case all other treatment methods cannot provide the patient relief against the condition, this is usually the last resort.
These are just some of the most important facts that you have to learn about arthritis in back. For additional information, you can do a research over the internet or consult a certified healthcare provider for more help.
In regulating arthritis in the back, you can try to check the foods that you are eating. Vegetables are very good to eat if you have arthritis. Foods which are rich in sulfur can bring you healing. They can repair the bones, cartilage and tissues. They can also help you absorb the calcium better.
You can also try eating some brown rice. Pineapple is also a fruit which can be good for your aches and pains due to arthritis. You can also eat fruits like cherries, apples, or bananas. Bromelain can lessen the inflammation in the back. Some vegetables which are also good for arthritis are celery, wheat grass, alfalfa, garlic and parsley.
If you can, try some juice fast for 4-6 weeks. It will dissolve the deposits in the joints and the tissues. Potato juice is also a must try if you want to have some relief from arthritis. You can make this using some electric juicer. Just cut the potatoes in small slices, mix with cold water and leave it overnight. You can drink it the following morning.
In order to prevent anemia which often accompanies arthritis, remember to drink iron supplements or foods rich in iron too. To prevent liver damage, eat fruits and vegetables which contain beta carotene. Have some carrot juice on hand as a refreshing drink.
Despite the common belief that arthritis affects just adults, the statistics says otherwise. Osteoarthritis is the most common kind of arthritis whichever age you are. Over 15 percent of adults in America suffer spondylosis or, osteoarthritis of spine. This kind of arthritis is most common with persons over the age of 45 but the cases affecting younger people are also known. The reason why women experience more pain in the back than men is still not clear enough or revealed.
How to treat arthritis of the back?
Alternative Medical Treatments
When back pain becomes makes a jump from acute to a chronic pain (usually after six weeks) some people give it a try with complementary or alternative treatments. We will expose some of the most common alternative medical treatments.
manipulation – performed with hands or massage the part of the spine where you feel the pain
TENS, or Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation. It includes sending electrical pulses to nerves to the painful area.
Acupuncture is considered highly beneficial for this kind of problem. This Chinese practice includes putting needles in certain points to help facilitate the pain. It is considered even more effective when used along with comprehensive treatment plan.
Acupressure – consists in putting pressure on the certain spots of the hurting area. The fact is, however, that acupressure has not yet become a proven method of helping with back pain.
If you, however, are not prone to trying out alternative medical treatments you should consult your doctor for there is a wide range of medication that can help facilitate and relieve your pain, making you feel better and, whatsoever, safer. Back pain is not considered an easy-to-handle situation but with adequate help you’ll be just fine!
Arthritis in back, also known as lumbar facet joint arthritis or lumbar spine arthritis is a known condition that can cause stiffness and pain to the joints found in the back and cause the surrounding tissues to become inflamed. Normally, the joints in the lumbar area or the back are are cushioned with a gel-filled disc and is protected with an outer covering known as cartilage. However, an arthritis condition can cause the cartilage to wear and tear and the discs to erode, thus resulting to irritation, friction, and pain and decreased flexibility in the back. Continue reading
Osteoarthritis is the most commonly known type of arthritis and this occurs when the cartilage in the joints break down. The loss of cushioning in between the bones may lead to stiffness, loss of joint motion and pain. According to experts, almost 27 million of all Americans suffer from this condition. osteoarthritis usually affect certain joints more frequently than the rest of it and the lower back is the most susceptible to this condition. Since arthritis conditions do not disappear, it is necessary to find pain relief measures for arthritis in lower back. Continue reading
Back and neck pain can be experienced by anyone suffering from arthritis. Pain on your back and neck can be an indication that your chest muscles are tightened and weakened due to your condition. However, when dealing with arthritis in neck and back, there are exercises that you can opt for to help you manage your condition and alleviate its symptoms. Continue reading
Various physical therapies can provide relief against arthritis in back. You may try doing tai chi and yoga exercises to relieve your condition. Finding an arthritis back relief is actually very easy, as there are various alternative treatments available for you including the following: Continue reading